To plan, co-ordinate, manage and oversee the design stages of new and existing projects from initial inception through to final handover. Leading the design function in our Reading Office.
- To take complete ownership of pre-construction activities. Such activities including conducting site surveys and the detailed Compilation of schedule of requirements documentation (SOR’s) that have a direct link to the commercial team in the production of costs to our client.
- Lead the design and development of electrical engineering systems to include Power Distribution (LV & HV), HV (11kV – 33kV minimum, 132kV ideal), principles of switchboard design, UPS systems and standby generators.
- Secondary substation design (Primary Substation design experience advantageous).
- Earthing design capability.
- Protection design (advantageous).
- Responsible for the development and production of LV and HV electrical design solutions including LV AC design from first principles and using electronic software packages.
- Fully conversant with design processes and procedures to meet DNO requirements
- Ensuring accurate collation and compilation of design documentation.
- Ensuring client design objectives are met
- Representing the client's & Ingenious’ interests
- Assist the commercial team where required to compile accurate and comprehensive cost submissions
- Providing technical solutions and guidance on project deliverables to Project Managers & Site Managers when required
- Oversee the development of accurate & comprehensive design drawing packages from initial design through to As Built drawings.
- Develop best practice and cost-effective solutions to our clients
- On “live” projects undertake with the operational team Onsite Reviews to ensure quality standards and adherence to design are being met.
- Complete due diligence surveyors for clients when acquiring new facilities,
- Undertake feasibility studies & reports which are clear and easy to read but sufficiently detailed to provide a thorough understanding, including risk identification and development of mitigation strategies,
- Research & present new ideas around improving Electrical System performance in facilities
- Effective utilisation of IT systems to keep track of progress
- Produce detailed electrical design information in both written and drawing formats.
- Have in depth knowledge and understanding of commercial & industrial electrical systems. Awareness of critical environments & Mission critical systems is beneficial but not essential.
- Organising and working with professionals/contractors in the development of new designs and or changes to existing projects.
- Play a pivotal role in the development of the design systems to set superior standards which are clearly documented, sufficiently comprehensive for use at a national level and assist with the maintenance of our accreditation.
- Effective utilisation of appropriate design software such as Amtech, Etap, SKM power systems analysis etc. to produce engineering designs, calculations and specifications.
- Attend and input into project meetings.
- Assist in the training and development of junior and intermediate electrical engineers, capable of assessing the design team and identifying training requirements.
- Play a leading role in the development of a culture within the team of engineering excellence, creative and lateral thinking.
You must be
- Electrical biased with formal qualifications, ideally holding a relevant Degree in Electrical Engineering (or similar), HNC/HND standards or appropriate C&G certification
- Either hold CEng status or be on the route to gaining
- Organisational skills, pedantic about detail
- Experience in a management capacity in a multi skilled work environment
- Experience in CDM Projects in construction
- Thorough understanding of DNO design requirements
- Conversant with the interface between distribution and building services
- BS7671 18th Edition Wiring regulations principles
- C&G Design, Erection and Verification (2396)
- Well-developed interpersonal skills
- Numeracy skills
- Commercial awareness
- Communication skills
- Able to author technically and grammatically sound professional reports
- Driven, a ‘go-getter’
- ‘Will do’ mentality required, (‘can do’ – need not apply)
- Individualist, but able to work seamlessly in a team
- Diplomatic and personable, yet determined
- An expansive mind with analytical and lateral thinking skills
- Innovative and future thinking
- Salary dependant on demonstrable experience
- Car or car allowance
- 25 days holiday
Work Hours and Location
- Monday to Friday, 08:30 - 17:00
- Reading Office. Office based (partial home working considered) - ultimately output and results is the focus.
- Site attendance as needed to meet project objectives
Why Ingenious Power Engineering
Striving to be the best means we’re competing with dozens of energy engineering organisations for the very best candidates.
But we’re confident that if you want to play a pivotal role in future energy and infrastructure solutions, Ingenious Power Engineering is the perfect place to succeed.
We’ve played important roles in the energisation of landmark projects. From concept through to detailed design and build, we cover a broad spectrum of infrastructure solutions with pinpoint accuracy.
Every day is different. We’re constantly reviewing our knowledge - because to drive change, we need to stay ahead.
We work with clients needing unprecedented and bespoke solutions. But we rise to every opportunity.
So if you’re looking for variety and to work with colleagues who are driven, powered by passion and determined to find solutions to any challenge, you’re in the right place.
After running through this checklist and think this role suits you, we would be interested in hearing from you:
Call: +44 (0)118 975 8713